6th Annual Social Media Advocacy Month
February 8, 2017 12:37 PM
The 6th Annual Social Media Advocacy Month
In January 2017, dozens of music therapy bloggers and podcasters successfully spread the word about music therapy advocacy through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube blogs, and podcasts. Their work contributes to a national project facilitated by the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) and Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) as part of the joint AMTA-CBMT State Recognition Operational Plan. The 2017 project theme centered on how music therapists can incorporate a spirit of mindfulness to their advocacy efforts.
Mindfulness is defined as a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations. This requires an awareness of our attitudes, feelings, thoughts, and actions; an understanding of how they impact our experiences and behaviors; and a willingness to take responsibility for our mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical well-being.
Thus, during the 2017 Social Media Advocacy Month we explored a guide to assist you in your search of an advocacy zen space, and challenged you to consider ways in which you have been REACTIVE and PROACTIVE in your advocacy efforts.
A full listing of blog posts, podcast episodes, and videos can be found by visiting www.musictherapystaterecognition.blogspot.com. We would like to thank the following bloggers and podcasters for supporting this project:
- Bear Paw Creek (Janet Stephens)
- Earthtones Music Therapy Services (Jodi Winnwalker, Emilie Wright, and team)
- The George Center (Jamie George and team)
- The Groovy Garfoose (Bonnie Hayhurst and Ellen Antes)
- Heartbeat Music Therapy (Janice Lindstrom)
- Kalani Music (Kalani)
- Listen and Learn Music (Rachel Rambach)
- Joyful Melodies (Lauren Servos)
- Maine Music and Health (Kate Beever)
- Music Therapy Advocate (Jennifer Geiger)
- Music Therapy Ed (Kat Fulton)
- Music Therapy Maven (Kimberly Sena Moore)
- Music Therapy Repertoire Challenge (Catherine Hershey)
- Piedmont Music Therapy (Grethen Chardos Benner, Perrin Thompson, and Ashely Tisdale)
- Session Cafe (JoAnn Jordan)
- SMWC Music Therapy (Sharon Boyle)
We invite you to browse through the articles and share them with your friends and colleagues. You can also receive the latest updates by "liking" AMTA on Facebook, "liking" CBMT on Facebook, following AMTA and CBMT on Twitter, and reading the latest #mtadvocacy updates on all the social media channels.